So I’ve mentioned before in this article that my little one Margot is super fussy and won’t eat vegetables. She is however a bit of a sausage addict. And I don’t blame her, I am quite the fan myself! The key is to find great sausages, I am lucky to live close to an amazing butcher and I highly recommend sourcing the best as with sausages – quality counts! If you don’t have a great butcher close by, the Coles or Woolies organic sausages are great too.
We usually eat sausage with veggies, roast potato and sweet potato or pumpkin and steamed greens but sometimes I like to mix it up and this dish is a total winner, both for the kids and for hubby and I.
It’s super easy and a great way to pack extra veg into your meals!
1 onion diced
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
6 sausages cut into bite sized pieces
1 capsicum diced
1 courgette grated
1 carrot grated
1 can (400gram) of tinned tomatoes
1 can (400gram) of cannelloni beans
Vege stock paste (a thermomix staple – can be omitted if you don’t have any, you could use any other good quality stock)
1 cup of water (omit if using stock)
A small bunch of spinach or silverbeet finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil and fry the garlic and onion until soft
- Ad the paprika and sausages and brown for a few minutes
- Add the capsicum, carrot, courgette, chickpeas, canned tomatoes and stock (either one cup of water with a tablespoon of vege stock paste or one cup of good quality stock)
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- Stir through the spinach/silverbeet
- Serve with mashed potatoes/sweet potato, brown rice or pasta.
My husband and I also like to add chilli flakes to spice it up!