I have had a lifelong love affair with sugar, as have most people I know. So the concept of a sugar free dessert was pretty foreign to me, unless it involved lots of blue cheese.
Our household is currently dairy, sugar and gluten free to help my husband fight an autoimmune disease. I won’t lie – Phoebe and I have been sneaking the odd treat when we’re not at home. But it does make for some challenging meal choices to satisfy my husband – a guy who wouldn’t think twice of slamming a king size Cadbury block pre this sugar free diet.
I’m so grateful for this current sugar free trend. There is no shortage of amazing recipes and inspiration. Influenced by http://juliaandlibby.com/ and http://kenkokitchen.com/ this is my version of a raw dairy, gluten and sugar free “cheesecake”. My taste testers were 9 friends, including 6 hungry boys and there were compliments flying left right and centre. Enjoy!
Raspberry, lemon and orange raw cheesecake
For the base:
1 cup raw walnuts
½ cup raw pumpkin kernels
½ cup medjool dates
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the filling:
2 cups of raw cashew nuts
1 cup of frozen raspberries
1 cup of coconut milk
Juice of one lemon
For the sauce:
1 ½ cups frozen raspberries
Juice of one orange
Loving Earth organic raw dark chocolate
- Soak the cashews for at least an hour, longer if possible.
- For the base, put all the ingredients in a food processer and process until smooth.
- Line the base of a spring form cake tin with baking paper.
- Press the mix into the base of the cake tin evenly and place in the freezer.
- For the filling, put all the ingredients in the food processer and process until smooth.
- Pour on top of the base and smooth.
- Place back into the freezer for 2+ hours
- For the topping, heat the raspberries and the juice of one orange on the stovetop until reduced and jammy (about 10 minutes). Watch it doesn’t catch and burn.
- To serve, take out of the freezer about 20 minutes before you’re ready to eat. Before serving drizzle the berry sauce over the top and shave the chocolate over to taste.
Photo from armellehabib.com
If you enjoy these, be sure to check out our very own bestseller - Tanker Topper Choc Chip Lactation Cookies